As a new Chemeketa International Student you will need to select where to live. In order to assist you through that process we provide you a list of options that will help you find a secure and comfortable place.
We strongly recommend homestay for the first term as an international student. It is one of the quickest ways for students to improve their English language skills because they will have a family that is always available to talk to them; as well as help them get to know the area. Our host families live all over the Salem-Keizer area and all live near a bus stop so that students can have easy transportation to the college. You should apply for homestay as soon as possible as we only have a limited number of families available and we cannot guarantee a homestay family placement. Homestay forms will be e-mailed to students once they have completed their application. We have two Homestay options:
- Costs $400 per month
- Includes all utilities and the internet
- A private bedroom with a bed and linens, desk, lamp, and shelves or drawers
- Does NOT include all meals; only one meal per week
- Costs $550 per month
- Includes all utilities and the internet
- A private bedroom with a bed and linens, desk, lap, and shelves or drawers
- Includes ALL meals
- Keep in mind that we have a limited number of Homestay Plus families
Things you will need to know for all Homestays:
- You will most likely need to ride the bus to Chemeketa; your new host family will help you understand the bus system and will ride with you the first time you take the bus
- Once you are placed in a homestay we expect you to stay for the first term unless there are major problems. After the first term you may choose any housing option you would like.
- You will pay the first month's rent at the Homestay Reception, and every month after on the same day
- You will also need to bring an additional month of rent to pay as a deposit to your homestay family at the Homestay Reception
Keep in mind that our costs may change with the cost of living. For more information on our most current details about the homestay program, please contact our office.
Renting an Apartment
Some students prefer to live in an apartment rather than a homestay. We do not find apartments nor match roommates for you however we are providing you below a list of websites that you can use to find a good apartment close to Chemeketa's campus. Here are apartments near the Chemeketa Salem Campus.
You can also search for aparmtents through the following websites -
Keep in mind that renting an apartment in the USA requires -
- More than two weeks to get an apartment
- An initial down payment for the first and last month's rent is frequently required
- Large deposits of money in advance (especially if you do not have previous renting history in the USA)
- If you are leasing an apartment you must keep that contract for the full length of time of the agreement otherwise you may incur penalties
For more information on choosing a place to live and some important things you may want to know before deciding to rent a place in Salem, please see our suggestions for choosing a place to live. Also, please review commonly used terms for housing in America.
Options for temporary housing are limited and require advanced request.
If you plan on moving into an apartment once you arrive, the process can take one or two weeks to complete. Therefore, students often choose to arrange a temporary homestay family while they finish securing their apartment, although some do choose to stay with friends in the area or at a local hotel which are also good options. If you wish to use our Temporary Housing Service please email us your interest and plan to arrive on the specified arrival dates. Once you have let us know of your interest we will email you the appropriate Temporary Housing forms.
- Our temporary housing costs $250 and lasts for two weeks
- It includes the meals for the first three days only
- After the first three days students will prepare their own meals
- All temporary housing includes all utilities and beds with linens
- Temporary housing is not available for more than two weeks
Hosting International Students
Our Homestay program's success is in part due to the amazing host families that open their homes to our International students. If you are considering being a host family we would love to walk you through the application process. Here is useful information for you:
- Homestay Resources